Saturday, October 6, 2012

6 October 2012 -- Journal Log

Scooter's Journal Log
Earth Date Saturday, 6 October 2012

I still have no Internet service • seems to be out in other people's apartments according to the flurry of text messages I received • weird thing is that my cell phone won't connect to the internet either making me wonder what is going on • walked over to school for the Dragon Dance, final day of 60th Anniversary Celebration, and Official commemoration of the BNDS History Museum • saw a lot of students • ran into Todd and got to hear all about his trip to the Hawai'i of southeast Asia • dropped off shirts at dry cleaner • went home and changed for the day trip • no one showed up for the trip to the Temple of Heaven • so, I walked over to the China Post Office to mail post cards before leaving the area • took subway to bus to Temple of Heaven • walked from one end to the other • very different from last time I was there • Beijing completely surrounds the place which I remember being out in the middle of nowhere • it has been set up as much more of a what Americans would call a 'tourist trap' with degrees of tickets that then get you into internal attractions for more money • the actual Temple of Heaven seemed a lot smaller than I remembers and we were not allowed to go inside which I would swear we were allowed to on my previous trips, but who knows • took bus and headed home • had my first interaction on the buss with a local who went on and on about how much he loves Obama and America and how America is so great because everyone get get a free education whereas in 中國 / Zhōngguó, the basic education is so expensive and America is so beautiful and I should be so happy to be from such a beautiful and wonderful country and not from China • it was touching, but I was praying he would stop talking before we were both arrested or something because we have been warned not to get into political conversations with people • the talking caused me to miss several opportunities to get off the bus and take the subway home • my feet were absolutely killing me from many days of walking and standing • when I arrived at Yu Quan Lu, I went directly to McDonald's to restock on McNuggets for home • headed home to work on this journal and getting the flat ready for the IKEA delivery tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment